Jean Cunge is a French hydraulics engineer known for his contributions to the field of numerical modelling and simulation of open channel flows.
Dr.-Ing, Analyse Numerique (Universite Joseph Fourier (Grenoble I) (1966)
DIC, Space Structures, Imperial College London (1958)
M.S. (Hydraulics), Warsaw University of Technology (1956)
Until 2019, he had an active social media presence in LinkedIn, and engaged in technical debates with hydraulics engineering practitioners. He passionately advocated against calibrating manning's n, and instead encouraged the use of field knowledge. He argued that it is often better to accept a bad model and investigate the causes for its poor performance, rather than calibrating the model. Many of his other comments on Linkedin capture the essence of his decades of knowledge and opinions related to modeling practices.
He collaborated with Alexandre Preissmann as one of the co-founders of the SHE project, and later at the Société Grenobloise d'Etudes et d'Appli-cations Hydrauliques (SOGREAH). His work at SOGREAH was conducted in collaboration with his junior colleagues, especially, Jacques Zaoui.
1. Cunge, Jean A. “Discussion by ‘Deposition of Sediment in Transient Flow.’” Journal of the Hydraulics Division 98, no. 2 (1972): 399–402. https://doi.org/10.1061/JYCEAJ.0003241.
2. ———. “Of Data and Models.” Journal of Hydroinformatics 5, no. 2 (March 1, 2003): 75–98. https://doi.org/10.2166/hydro.2003.0007.
3. ———. “River Hydraulics – a View from Midstream.” Journal of Hydraulic Research 52, no. 1 (January 2, 2014): 137–38. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221686.2013.855269.
4. ———. “What Do We Model? What Results Do We Get? An Anatomy of Modelling Systems Foundations.” In Advances in Hydroinformatics: SIMHYDRO 2012 – New Frontiers of Simulation, edited by Philippe Gourbesville, Jean Cunge, and Guy Caignaert, 5–18. Springer Hydrogeology. Singapore: Springer, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-4451-42-0_2.
5. Cunge, Jean A., and Marc Erlich. “Hydroinformatics in 1999: What Is to Be Done?” Journal of Hydroinformatics 1, no. 1 (July 1, 1999): 21–31. https://doi.org/10.2166/hydro.1999.0003.
6. Cunge, Jean A., and Willi H. Hager. “Alexandre Preissmann: His Scheme and His Career.” Journal of Hydraulic Research 53, no. 4 (July 4, 2015): 413–22. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221686.2015.1076894.